Scripture Memory for Losers
I'm the worst Scripture memorizer I know. Before kids? Terrific memory. After kids? Terrible. That joke about donating brain cells to each child is probably truer than I'd care to admit, and with nine pregnancies, let's just assume I'm operating at a deficit.
How about you? Are you a Scripture memory loser, too? I have some ideas that have helped me, but keep in mind that I will win no awards for the amount I memorize, or the pace at which I do. Mostly I rely on all the verses I committed to memory as a child, or the many hymns and praise songs I've learned over the years.
Three Things to Remember About Memorizing Scripture
1. God is not more pleased with you if you have Scripture memorized or don't.
2. The Holy Spirit is the most incredible memory tool I have; He regularly brings verses to mind that I didn't take the time to memorize. How does He do that?
3. There is no magic/better/more spiritual approach. Do what works for you.
Scripture Memory Ideas for Losers
1. Copy, copy, copy. In longhand, with a favorite pen and a piece of lined paper. Or a beautiful journal.
2. Post. On your bathroom mirror, with a Sharpie on the walls, on a Post-It on your fridge. I've included the gorgeous graphic my friend and calligrapher Holly created for the launch of Lost & Found. Download, print, frame, post. (It's below.)
3. Sing. I was in the middle of a long, hard labor when God brought the line from a worship song flooding into my mind at the opportune moment. I couldn't believe it! And it got me thinking: How many verses do I actually know just from singing them over and over? Which leads me to . . .
4. Highlight. Go through your Bible and highlight every verse that you already know from a hymn or a song. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised! Start with the Psalms.
5. Illustrate and/or write all over a Bible. It's allowed. The paper and binding aren't the sacred part, and your coloring/artwork/underlining/highlighting could help you remember the important stuff.
6. Use technology. Bible memory apps like Scripture Typer are perfect for techie memory work losers.
7. Cut yourself a ton of slack. We're losers, remember? It's why we need Jesus, and Jesus doesn't keep score. Although, if you want to treat yourself to a bowl of ice cream after you've memorized something, go for it.
What's the biggest stumbling block to memorizing Scripture for you?